| Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to service box |




Pictures from Obervellach in Carinthia

honorary entrance in Obervellach The house of the chief mining  master Obervellach im Jahr 1906

Tags

Oberstbergmeister, Oberstbergmeisteramt, Obervellach, National park Hohe Tauern, Castle Trabuschgen, Carinthia

Content of document

The Oberstbergmeisteramt

At the end of the 15th century, the mines of Austria on both banks of the Enns River, Styria, Carinthia and Krain were subordinated to a so-called “obristen Bergmeister”, the “chief mining master” by the later emperor Maximilian 1st. Due to Obervellach’s extraordinary importance in mining, “mining judge” Lamprecht Zaech was appointed first “Oberstbergmeister”, “chief mining master”, in 1509 for all above stated Habsburg states.

The mining judge’s main tasks were to represent the ruler in local assembly sections and the supervision of mining, which bloomed in the first half of the 16th century in the Eastern Alps.

By means of the Habsburg states’ partition in 1564, the authority’s area of responsibility stretched all over what was then Inner Austria. Over the course of the maria-theresian reforms, the “Oberstbergmeisteramt” was transferred to Klagenfurt in 1778; thus, Obervellach was home to the central mining administration of the Habsburg Empire for 270 years and was of nationwide importance.

Obervellach
Tauer Alpin Logo . National park Hohe Tauern Logo